Friday 26 February 2010

Tsukiji fish market

We took a trip to Tsukiji fish market at 4.45am on Thursday morning, in order to see the tuna auction and the place where 90% of the fish eaten in Tokyo passes through.  The auction was cool (especially as I had never realised just how LARGE tuna are!) but the best thing about it was the fact that more than 50 tourists had got up before 5am and trekked across Tokyo in the snow to watch it!  You can see them (us!) all papping the auction and the fish, under the ever watchful eye of the guy in white...
 
The fish market was enormous, and contained hundreds of sea-creatures that I simply had never seen before, never mind considered edible (and this did make me wonder what I'd been eating for the last few days!), and we headed to a tiny sushi counter at the side of the market for a sushi breakfast at 6.45am.  I am not a massive fan of sushi (yes, yes, I know - this makes me v. uncool!) but it was the best and freshest I've ever had, and I will admit it was... not too bad! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment