Tuesday 27 October 2009

Ahhhh, China!

Last weekend was a bit of an "I-heart-China" affair - I'm not sure why, but I imagine it was largely to do with the beautiful warm weather that came as a surprise after the threat of imminent ice age conditions! I've not been able to post about it until now as I've been quite busy at work (the injustice!), but here goes....

We took a stroll along Nanluoguxiang, where there was a street festival going on. Lots of tourist tack and a huge number of people, but tasty Chinese food in an open air rooftop cafe and pretty decorations all the same - *snappity-snap*:
Then we hit the outdoor gym for a workout. I love these outdoor gyms, and this one even had weights and a massage machine! Genius. We attracted some funny looks, but this is all part of the fun of being a redhead in China....
These gyms are often to be found in the central area of apartment buildings, and families gather there in the mornings and evenings to enjoy the outside space and take some exercise. Ben's friend has been importing these for use in the UK. Coming to a town near you! Thoughts on whether they would be used? Or how long until they'll be vandalised? I'll get a project update and let you know.....

Also popped by* an enormous fruit and vegetable market, where I bought the biggest youzi known to man. It's about twice the size of my head! This in itself made me very happy, but then, when I was looking for a link to describe this fantastic fruit, I found this website - and I am thrilled! An entire youzi festival! Life just got a little bit sweeter.

* read: "eventually-stumbled-across-after-2-hour-wild-goose-chase-led-by-Dave"

No comments:

Post a Comment