Thursday 22 October 2009

what a wedding feast!

The food at the wedding was so varied and exciting in itself, that I have devoted a separate post to it. I was sat next to Jasmine, a lovely and very helpful food-bully, who marched me through each of the dishes (and believe me, below is only a small selection of the weird and wonderful dishes on offer!) in turn, explaining what each was, how expensive it would be, and how and why to eat it. This meant that I was totally full by the end of the evening, and that I had tried all sorts of tings I might not have dared to otherwise! I was even bullied into trying some sticky, boiled (pork?) fat, allegedly renowned to be "good for women's skin" - but unfortunately this was not a highlight....

First thing to note is the cigarettes and matches that were served up with the cold dishes.* Appetising! I politely refrained, natch.
Next dish of interest,was the poultry. Mmmm, duck? Chicken? Guinea fowl? Nope - quail, and here's the evidence. Tasty though!
Next up, an enormous and delicious lobster!
And then....
'What is that?', I hear you ask! Well, rightly so. It's snake. No, not how we expected snake to look either, but we collectively determined that it must be a section of the snake's vertebrae (see here if you are not afraid of snakes). It was bony but delicious, and yes, of course, it tasted like chicken...
Due to the large number of bones, I would not advise this eating technique.... but hey - we were first-timers!
And last, but not least, the messiest dish of all - Shanghai crab! It was served on a sticky rice cake thing, which is a bit like Chinese gnocchi. According to Jasmine, this is a particularly special and expensive dish, and the tastiest meat is in the legs. Although this may well be true, but after a lot of effort (removing the legs, cracking along specific lines in the shell, opening the leg, and sucking it out....), it yields the tiniest reward!
*Incidentally, does anyone know anyone who likes the Chinese cold dishes?

No comments:

Post a Comment